Helplines, resources and services
A range of agencies provide free parent helpline phone support, information resources and services to assist you to access further information, support and care throughout your perinatal journey.
- Triple Zero (000) – If you or someone you care about is in crisis and you think that immediate help is needed, call triple zero (000) or go to your local hospital emergency department.
- Lifeline 13 11 14 – Provides 24 hour access to crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support services. They also offer online chat and a text messaging service, find out more on their website.
- Suicide callback service 1300 659 467 – Provides 24 hour crisis counselling to people at risk of suicide, carers for someone who is suicidal and those bereaved by suicide. They also offer online chat and video chat, find out more on their website.
Emotional support and mental health helpline
- Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia (PANDA) 1300 726 306 – Is a free perinatal mental health hotline. PANDA offers free telephone support counselling. They also provide information on antenatal and postnatal depression on their website.
Support for grief and loss from miscarriage, stillbirth and death in infancy
- Red Nose 1300 308 307 – Is a 24-hour parents’ helpline. Red Nose provides support for grieving parents and families who have experienced the death of a baby during pregnancy, birth, infancy or childhood, regardless of cause. Red Nose also has professional counselling, support groups and resources available via Red Nose Grief and Loss.
- Pink Elephants – Provides information and support for women through miscarriage, pregnancy loss and beyond. The group supports women through their grief, nurtures them as they heal and empower them as they move into the future. There are a number of resources available in their website including useful information about miscarriage stages and support services.
- SANDS 1300 072 637 – Is a parent helpline. SANDS provides information and confidential 24/7 support by a trained parent supporters who have a personal understanding of the grief and confusion that may be experienced following miscarriage, stillbirth or the death of a baby. SANDS also holds group support meetings. You can find more details about these on their website.
Support for premature and sick newborns
- Miracle Babies Foundation – Provides a comprehensive parent to parent support program for families during a high-risk pregnancy, throughout their baby’s time in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) or Special Care Nursery (SCN), and their transition to home and beyond. This support also includes the loss of a baby cared for by a NICU/SCN. Miracle Babies Foundation’s NurtureLine is a free national 24hr family support helpline for families of a premature or sick newborn. Call 1300 622 243 (1300 MBABIES). More information on accessing support services can be found on their website.
Adoption and surrogacy support
- Surrogacy Australia – Provides information on finding a surrogate, becoming a surrogate and the surrogacy process on their website. The Australian Government also provides information on the process of engaging an international surrogate.
- Adopt Change Australia – Aims to ensure every child has access to a safe, nurturing and stable family upbringing. Adopt Change provides support and resources for people considering adoption.
- 1800 Respect 1800 737 732 – 1800 Respect is a national counselling service. They provide information and support (telephone and online) for people who have experienced sexual assault or domestic and family violence.
Parent helplines for general advice and support
- Pregnancy, birth and baby helpline 1800 882 436 – Provides general advice and counselling about pregnancy, childbirth and parenting in the first year of life with a baby. You can visit their website or phone their parent helpline on 1800 882 436.
- Community resources providing support – A detailed list of local playgroups, mum meet-ups, mental health helplines and support, and parenting support services.
Counselling and Relationships
- MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78 – Professional telephone and online support, information and referral service for men to assist with relationship problems.
- Relationships Australia 1300 364 277 – Provide relationship support services through counselling and family dispute resolution for couples experiencing relationship problems.
Accessing treatment (services and online)
- eCOPE Database of Perinatal Mental Health Professionals – Search the eCOPE database to find an accredited mental health professional with expertise in assisting women and men before, during and after pregnancy and birth.
- Australian Psychological Society (APS) 1800 333 497 – The APS can assist you to find a psychologist who can provide psychological services and pregnancy support counselling for women, men and families. Your can identify psychologists with expertise via the APS online Find a Psychologist Service. Or , call their free-call number 1800 333 497.
- Head to Health – Provides a website gateway access to online programs and trusted information on depression, stress and anxiety from Australia’s leading mental health organisations.